RNS (Release Notification System)
The Release Notification System (RNS) is an automated application that notifies carriers of Canadian Customs release and PARS alerts. The RNS messages can be used to update systems, to schedule deliveries or initiate the preparation of accounting data. Additionally, carriers can electronically notify other parties affected by the release and ensure more timely delivery of shipments.
The RNS messages include current release status for shipments crossing the border and also includes information such as the broker’s transaction number (entry/ release number), cargo control number, date and time of release updates, customs office number and other applicable information. Each message is date and time stamped by CBSA.
What Types of Messages are Available?
The Release Notification System includes four message types. Carriers can opt to receive just one type, all types or any combination that works for each individual case:
- Automatic Release Notification - Automated "goods released" messages are generated and sent electronically according to the carrier code, customs office number or warehouse location
- Arrival Certification - Warehouse operators can transmit arrival messages to notify CBSA of the arrival of commercial shipments and CBSA returns a message to advise whether the goods have been released or referred for examination.
- Status Query - Verify if CBSA has processed the release documents for shipments using the status query’s look up feature.
- Automatic Status - Instant notification of a broker entry numbers against your PARS shipments. Cleared cargo no longer has to be verified by tracking down the customs broker to obtain entry numbers.
Benefits to Carriers:
- Verify if releases are set up before reaching the border avoiding delays and AMPS penalties
- Drivers are in control of timely and speedy delivery
- Receive and monitor release messages directly from CBSA on a 24/7 basis
- Electronically notify other parties who are affected by the release
- Receive automatic status notification from CBSA identifying a PARS release package has been submitted to and processed by CBSA and awaiting cargo arrival at the border
- Each message is date and time stamped by CBSA which is available for CBSA audits
- Avoid late delivery costs, communication costs or extra toll charges if the truck is sent back to Canada